It’s summertime in New York, which means two things:
1) You’re going to hear that same chiptune version of “The Entertainer” every five minutes, 24 hours a day until sometime after Thanksgiving. I don’t know who buys ice cream at 4AM in late September, but there is a truck in my neighborhood who can meet their need.
2) You probably want some ice cream
We can help you with the second one. The Time Warner Cable ice cream truck is now on the streets and appearing around New York City, offering cones and cups for the suggested donation of only one dollar. We’re not doing it solely out of our love for discount ice cream. We’re doing it for charity, donating the funds to local museums.
Last summer, we donated more than $14,000 to the Children’s Museum of Manhattan, NY Hall of Science in Queens, Brooklyn Children’s Museum and Staten Island Children’s Museum, all raised through the sale of modestly priced refreshments. These museums will once again be the beneficiaries of this campaign.
“Each of these organizations has programs for young people connecting them to science and nature, which are key elements for Time Warner Cable’s community focus,” said Harriet Novet, Regional Vice President, Public Affairs, Time Warner Cable’s NYC Region.
We’ve already committed to attend certain events this summer. Here is a working list:
- Bryant Park – July 5,12,19,26 & August 2, 9, 16th (Approx 4-10 p.m.)
- Staten Island 4th of July Post-Parade Celebration – July 4th (approx 6-8 p.m.)
- Summer Stage “Family Day” – July 18th – Hours TBD
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan (one of our beneficiaries) – July 16th, and August 6th – 5-8 p.m.
- Staten Island Borough President’s “Starlight” concerts – July 8, 22, 29th, August 12th, 19th
To request a visit by Time Warner Cable’s Ice Cream Truck, call (877) 766-7892. The truck is scheduled to visit many events around the city including Bryant Park’s Movies in the Park and Central Park’s Summer Stage series and is available for block parties and other outdoor public events from July 1 through August 23.