On September 29th, our customers are going to notice some new changes to the free TWCable TV app for the iPad. Again, this is a work in progress, and we’re trying to add features and improvements on a more nimble developmental cycle.
If you’ve already got the app, chances are pretty good that you’ve had sometime to familiarize yourself with its features so far. Here are the new ones:
1) Basic search function.
With this update, you can search for programs by title or episode name within the iPad app. You do this by using the search bar located on the top right of the screen. To activate the keyboard, you’ll need to tap the search bar. Once the search results display, you’ll also have the ability to filter your results based on matching genres like News, Cooking, Travel, Sports, etc. We are working on advanced search (keyword, cast, crew) which should roll out sometime around the end of Q4/ beginning of Q1.
2) You can now view closed captioned content.
To do this, look within the Settings menu of the TWCable TV iPad app and turn the closed captioning switch on. Some programs do not have closed captioning available. Those programs will not display captioning even when the closed captioning is turned on. Look for the closed captioning icon within the program description to determine if captioning is available on any given program.
3) You can now block specific live TV channels from viewing on the app.
Once a channel is blocked it will no longer be displayed in the live TV mini-guide. Please note that you will need to visit MyServices to activate parental controls, and you must exit and re-enter the app for the changes to take effect.
To activate/manage Parental Controls for the app, follow these steps:
- Visit myservices.timewarnercable.com and log into your MyServices account
- Click on either the MyAccount or MyTV tab within MyServices, scroll to the “TWCable TV for Devices” module
- Click on the “Edit blocked channels” link
- On the Edit TWCable TV Channel Blocking for Devices page, scroll down to the channel(s) you wish to block
- Click on the lock icon (it will turn red)
- To complete the parental control activation process, restart the TWCable TV iPad app by pressing the home button or signing out
These settings apply to the TWCable TV iPad app only. To manage parental control settings for your television, you still have to modify the settings on your video set top box using your remote control.
Miscellaneous bug fixes:
I’ve seen a lot of complaints about audio issues in the iPad app – many are saying that there’s no sound. This update should fix that.
Some users were not seeing HD channels in the lineup like they should have – that should also be fixed.
We also have made some minor design tweaks.
As a reminder, you will need all of the following to use the TWCable TV iPad app:
• Apple iPad with iOS 4.3
• Time Warner Cable video package (Standard/Expanded Basic level or higher to access the Live TV feature)
• Wi-Fi connection
• Time Warner Cable Username & Password
• Compatible cable box or DVR is required to access interactive program guide, channel tuning, and DVR management functionalities.
Please remember, too: we do as much testing as we can in our Dev environments, but there is no way of really simulating a live environment at scale without pushing this across our footprint and seeing what happens. We apologize in advance if any new bugs appear – if you see something weird, please let us know in the comments. I’ll be monitoring them and passing them along to the product team. We want to make this great, and we appreciate all your help.