Back in March of 2011, we launched our hugely successful TWCable TV for iPad app. So far, people seem to love it — even people that don’t own iPads. Ever since that launch, we’ve had a steady stream of customers asking us some variation of the following three questions:
1) When do you plan to create a similar app for Android?
2) How soon can I use my Android tablet to do the same thing?
3) Why don’t you have an app for Android already?
This is a great problem for us to have – and we’re happy to announce our first foray into an Android-friendly TWCable TV app. After Android’s release of Ice Cream Sandwich in the first few months of 2012, we will be able to offer a live streaming TV experience.
As a side note: Who at Google is in charge of naming upcoming OS releases? Whoever it is, you just KNOW that guy commutes on a unicycle. Or a Razr scooter at least.
I digress. For our first release, the following features will be available:
- Interactive Program Guide (IPG) – a complete IPG experience, with 7 days of program listings including full program description
- Remote Control of STB –the ability to use the Android tablet as a set-top box remote control, choosing a program from the grid guide and tuning the MDN or ODN STB to the selected channel.
- DVR Manager – the ability to remotely program MDN or ODN DVRs with capabilities similar to the current web & mobile Remote DVR Manager product
The image of the guide in Android below is from the latest dev version, and may change by the release date – but I just thought you might want to see a screencap as it stands right now.
We hope to have this available to launch in late November. However, we have a lot of exciting new products in the pipeline, and release dates may get shuffled and pushed back. This is the way of the world now. Either way, I’ll announce the releases on this blog and on Twitter on the day that they are live.