Here’s some decent news for our customers in Southern California – and eventually, the rest of the country: today, RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE, we launched an app that will allow you to locate and log into any Time Warner Cable WiFi hotspot. You can go off and download it here:
We’ll have an iOS version out in a few weeks.
Let’s be honest here: this is a great, convenient little app, but it’s also table-stakes in an increasingly wireless, authenticated world. Here’s what you can expect:
- Automatic authentication to TWC WiFi network. The app defaults your device to TWC WiFi connections where available and auto-authenticates and auto-connects when in range with a “remember me” feature. It’s an easy to use and reliable way to find and use TWC WiFi connections with no need to launch and login to the application after the first time.
- Online Hotspot Map with Available TWC WiFi Hotspots. There will be an easy-t- use visual icon that quickly gives TWC hotspot location using a variety of search methods.
- Offline Hotspot Listing – available TWC WiFi hot spots listed when not connected to any network
- Distinct Indoor and Outdoor TWC WiFi Hotspot Markers
- Turn-by-Turn Directions to TWC WiFi Hotspots
- Basic session usage
- Reporting capabilities
For the time being, this app will only work in Android. But iOS will be along very shortly. We’re also going to expand it to our customers in other parts of the country. Given that Southern California has both the largest and densest concentration of our WiFi hotspots, it just makes sense for us to start there for now. And remember, TWC WiFi is a free service to all our home Internet customers, but anyone can log in using an Access Pass.
All of us – service providers, customers, armchair tech pundits – want the same thing: to be able to go more and more places and transition from network to network, WiFi zone to WiFi zone with as little friction as possible. This app is a first, important step to getting us there.